Tuesday, June 23, 2009

COMMENCEMENT SPEECH

To you members of the class of 2008: today is your day. You are the subject. One period of your life is ending and another one beginning, and today we have gathered to witness this event, this ritual. Your commencement Day – a day of farewell to your college life and a hello to a new life you are about to face.

Perhaps, as an undergraduate, I don’t have much to say to you. I may not have that credibility of a potential speaker for this event. I haven’t ventured many places and I haven’t attained any awards. I haven’t even finished any degree in college. I’m not even close to that for now. But I believe that I fully understand the role of an Iskolar na Bayan.

Let me give you my warmest congratulations first. I know that UP life is tough. Some teachers are hard to deal with, brain-whacking exams is ever present and for sure you are used even to nosebleed research papers. And the never-forgotten accidents in habal-habal will always embark you the kind of memories that will make you laugh and scare you at the same time until your last heart beat falls. This day you are officially free of those college tough days, but watch out for more tough moments in your lives outside this university. There are more arenas of challenges and greater opportunities in the outside world. Whether you will pursue another course or you will work in your chosen field, bear in your minds the values you’ve learned in UP.

Stand for that sense of belongingness, Mindanao is for Mindanaons. Fight for the nationalism you believe to be supposedly rooted in every Filipino. Serve the country; serve the Filipino people, for in the taxpayer’s debt you were able to gain what you have right now. Be the pride of this country. You, the newly graduates, is entitled to be the hope of the nation. Do as much as you can to help the Philippines. It is now one of your responsibilities. Give back to the people what they ought to have—the advantages of gaining the result of their great investment.

In a long run, we always stumble and fall. But we should stand up. Disappointments are there to become our stepping stones. So watch out for more. From the moment you were born, you started the journey and at this point you must start to plan for your mission. You, as the Iskolar ng Bayan are bound to be prolific individuals of this country. You are well-armed. It is your mission to show to your fellow men how a Filipino should be.

Class 2008, be our inspiration so we can reach our goals and accomplish our mission too. Be a good example to the undergraduates of UP Mindanao. Always remember to be grateful for the fights that have been given to you from above and refrain from focusing on what you do not have for you will never have enough. I am so proud of you.

We are all aware that UP Mindanao is the least supported and recognized institution among the other UP campuses in the Philippines. For the last 11 years UP Mindanao had proved that its existence is worthwhile. To the newest product of UP Mindanao, you all deserve to be called Isko and Iska. Help UP Mindanao show to the many that it can produce individuals who excel in leadership, nationalism, cultural sensitivity and environmental nurturance.

Let me leave you a quote I got from the mother of Douglas McArthur. “You must believe in yourself, or no one else will believe in you. Be self confident, self reliant, and even if you do not make it, you will know you have done your best.”

Once again, my heartiest congratulations to each you, to your families and to our teachers. God bless us all.

No comments: