Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pygmalion

Professor Higgins transformed Eliza into a lady by switching Eliza’s terrible accent into a sophisticated one. He offered her clothes, food, house and comfortable living. He taught her the proper articulation of words. He even taught her how a lady should bring herself. He also used harsh words and punishments to mold Eliza into a real lady. As a result, Eliza did her best to perfect each exercise. Until finally, in the much-anticipated royal ball, Eliza had perfectly deceived everybody. They really thought she was a princess. Maybe not just because of how she talks, but also her lovely appearance convinced them.

Those harsh comments thrown by Prof. Higgins to Eliza are one of the formulas that shaped her. Of course, it would not be as effective as that if not because of Prof. Higgins’s expertise.

If I could fix three things about the way I speak English, it would be my articulation, choice of words and accent.

I need more improvement in articulating words because there are times that my tongue slips off the moment I talk and pronounce the p instead of f and vice versa, stuffs like that. It is very embarrassing. However, as I have said I must learn to forgive myself. I know I have a problem with how I utter words, but at least it is not that worst.

As an effective speaker, I have to choose the right words to use when speaking to different people, e.g. to a child, to a friend or to a teacher. At times, I forgot to be careful when talking to others. I must learn to speak up the right words because it would affect on how I communicate with them. I admit I cannot express myself well in English. Maybe because I have a hard time shifting Bisaya-Filipino-English language most of the time.

It is necessary to speak intelligibly as a communication arts major. It is nice to hear applaud and compliments from the learned community. It is flattering to see when people get fascinated with the way you speak your English. Somehow, it is as if you belong to the higher class of people.

I am aiming for other individual’s positive impressions to me when they could hear me speaking English more competently after improving my skills. However, the more valid reason for this is to communicate effectively. It is through language that good communication establishes positive impacts in our relationship with the people around us.

No comments: